The program aspires to develop a series of integrated educational experiences, focused on the professional formation of a teacher of excellence. That is to say that the teacher will contribute to the educational scenario with the professional knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to promote changes and answers adapted to the educational environment. Primarily, the program aims to prepare a teacher who is knowledgeable of the problems of education in Puerto Rico and in other countries in such a way that he or she will be able to collaborate in the process of making constructive changes that will improve his or her quality of life and that of others.
The program is directed at the formation of teachers through a curriculum that provides an accumulation of articulated experiences which, at the same time, provides space for the construction of the pedagogical knowledge and content that will develop the future teacher. These experiences are characterized by continuous reflection, practice in real scenarios, research, collaboration, relevance of the contents, pedagogical modeling and the search and use of means that will provide solutions to the typical problems of the teaching-learning processes in different contexts. In this curriculum, the components of the general education, core and major courses will be integrated.
In harmony with the vision and the mission for the TEP, the following goals, in coherence with the profile of competencies of graduates of the program, are established.
- Develop educational professionals focused on the mastery of the knowledge of the discipline within the context of a scientific, pedagogical and humanist culture.
- Promote research, the management of information and the use of technology to generate the production and construction of knowledge that will result in the improvement of pedagogical practice within the education system.
- Develop education professionals who are sensitive to the needs and interests of the diverse social groups that exist in the population within a context of human transformation.
- Promote the solution of problems relating to the educational environment within the framework of the ethical, legal and social responsibility that regulates the profession.
- Develop educational leaders committed to their professional development as a means of promoting better pedagogical practice and, therefore, a better quality of life within the context of a culture of peace.
The program aims to achieve the following general objectives:
- Apply, in an integrated manner, theoretical and methodological knowledge to pedagogical practice in the educational scenario.
- Use research, sources of information and technological advances to base the development of educational innovations.
- Demonstrate an attitude of acceptance and sensitivity to the educational needs and interests presented by diverse student populations.
- Apply ethical, legal and social dimensions in the processes of problem solving and decision making related to the practice of the profession in the different educational scenarios.
- Show commitment to the continuous improvement of the required professional competencies in the field of education.